My base rate is $30/hour for book doctoring, and $35/hour for research assistance. I also have by-the-word and flat-rate pricing for a couple of standard options, explained below.
Some things I can do:
- give you a beta read of a completed manuscript (any level of detail, it’s up to you!)
- read a partial draft and help you get unstuck with your characters or plot
- brainstorm with you via chat, phone, or video call
I offer this option so you can have a clearer idea of what you’ll be paying. It’s completely at your discretion; if you want a more personalized option, I’m happy to charge by the hour!
Basic beta read or developmental edit: I write a detailed general response, but don’t leave comments on the manuscript. $0.005/word.
Detailed edit: A detailed general response plus line-by-line suggestions and comments. $.01/word.
- fact-check a manuscript for anachronisms and historical errors
- create a list of books/resources for you on a topic
- answer questions via email
If you have a topic you need help researching, but you aren’t sure how much help, sometimes it makes sense to book a block of time to start, and then go from there—for example, usually in an hour or two I can find a few resources/leads for you and get a sense of the project’s scale. At that point, we can create a plan of action together. Or, try the…
FLAT-RATE STARTER PACKAGE
I offer this option so you can have a clearer idea of what you’ll be paying and what you’ll be getting. It’s completely at your discretion; if you want a more personalized option, I’m happy to charge by the hour!
If you know you need to learn about a topic but you have no idea where to start, this may be the right choice for you. I’ll…
- email you a list of simple questions to help me understand what you’re looking for
- put together a list of 15 or more books, articles, and websites on your topic
- schedule a half-hour conversation (your choice of chat, voice, or video) to talk through the list and help you create a plan of action. We can also discuss how to access the resources not freely available online.
My specialties are Regency, Georgian, and Revolutionary War. Within Regency/Georgian, I’ve done a lot of research on politics and Anglo-Jewish life. But I’m up for anything!
Want something that’s not on this list? Get in touch and we’ll talk!
(Updated 19 May 2019)
I have room in my schedule for both full-length and novella-length projects, May – August.
I’m also booking in-person brainstorming sessions during the RWA national conference! 24-27 July, New York NY. $20 for half an hour, $40 for a full hour. We can flesh out a new story idea or get you unstuck in your WIP.
Reserve your slot now! [Link goes to a Google form.]
(Exact location TBD, but it will be a public space or coffee shop in, or within one block of, the Times Square Marriott Marquis.)