My base rates are $35/hour for editing, $40/hour for research assistance, and $60/hour for book doctoring services.
I also have by-the-word and flat-rate pricing for a few standard options, explained below.
Book doctoring typically encompasses work where I am offering you brief, focused support during the writing process, rather than reading a finished manuscript. It includes things like brainstorming sessions, talking through your plot, giving feedback on an outline, or helping you get unstuck.
If you aren’t sure where your project falls, or if you want a mix of services, let’s discuss!
If you would like to schedule a phone or Zoom book-doctoring call with me, I have some slots on Thursday and Friday afternoons that you can reserve and pay for online. (Other times and platforms are available, though, just get in touch!)
Some things I can do:
Book Doctoring and Editing
- give you a beta read of a completed manuscript (any level of detail, it’s up to you!)
- read a partial draft and help you get unstuck with your characters or plot
- brainstorm with you via text-chat, phone, or video call (there is a $10 surcharge for video calling)
I offer this option so you can have a clearer idea of what you’ll be paying. It’s completely at your discretion; if you want a more personalized option, I’m happy to charge by the hour!
Basic beta read or developmental edit: I write a detailed general response, but don’t leave comments on the manuscript. $0.007/word.
Detailed edit: A detailed general response plus light line-by-line suggestions and comments. Appropriate for a clean manuscript that has already been through some revisions. $.01/word.
Deep detailed edit: A detailed general response plus in-depth line-by-line suggestions and comments. Appropriate for an unrevised manuscript, or if you like a LOT of feedback. $.015/word.
- fact-check a manuscript for anachronisms and historical errors
- create a list of books/resources for you on a topic
- answer questions via email
If you have a topic you need help researching, but you aren’t sure how much help, sometimes it makes sense to book a block of time to start, and then go from there—for example, usually in an hour or two I can find a few resources/leads for you and get a sense of the project’s scale. At that point, we can create a plan of action together. Or, try the…
FLAT-RATE STARTER PACKAGE
I offer this option so you can have a clearer idea of what you’ll be paying and what you’ll be getting. It’s completely at your discretion; if you want a more personalized option, I’m happy to charge by the hour!
If you know you need to learn about a topic but you have no idea where to start, this may be the right choice for you. I’ll…
- email you a list of simple questions to help me understand what you’re looking for
- put together a list of 15 or more books, articles, and websites on your topic
- schedule a half-hour conversation (your choice of text-chat, voice, or video) to talk through the list and help you create a plan of action. We can also discuss how to access the resources not freely available online.
My specialties are Regency, Georgian, and Revolutionary War. Within Regency/Georgian, I’ve done a lot of research on politics and Anglo-Jewish life. But I’m up for anything!
Want something that’s not on this list? Get in touch and we’ll talk!
(Updated April 2020)
I have room in my schedule for both full-length and novella-length projects, starting May 11, 2020.